Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Sitting Crayon Idol

In order to show off my melted crayon skills in my 3D class for the final project, I did this:


I bought the chair for $10 at a flea market. Later, I found out that it was made in the 1920's while tearing it apart. The seat got a total makeover. Originally, it was a vinyl with mystery stuffing. That was all removed and immediately thrown away. I cut the new seat with a jigsaw and screwed it on with hinges (which is the hardest thing to install, by the way). The whole purpose of the hinged seat is to create storage for a sketchbook and pencils, incase you come up with an idea you want to sketch while your sitting in this chair. Haha. 
The next step was to add the melted crayons. This part was very tedious. Each crayon was glued on, then melted with a hair dryer. During the melting process, I accidentally killed the class's hair dryer and almost murdered mine. After it was all a melted mess, I mod podged some crayon wrappers on the seat and some of the railing. It's on the railing, because at that point, I was out of crayons. :/
The inside is painted white, with crayon graffiti written in it. My mom had fun at this part. 

Overall, it is a good prototype. It could use some more crayons though. As my professor Melissa Vandenberg would say, More is More. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment